|StarBoard Technical Support FAQ|
- 1. I keep getting “LSaDrv Touch Sensor error” message when Starboard is attached.
- Check the following items if "LSaDrv Touch Sensor Error" message appears:
1. Check that light is not blocked from reaching the board surface or reflective tape. 2. Check that the reflective tape is not dirty or that any object is inside the reflective area like the stylus or pen.
If the problem is not corrected despite making the above checks, perform the following additional adjustments:
3. Press the "Adjust Camera" button on the "LSaDrv Touch Sensor Error" dialog box displayed on the PC screen. 4. "Camera Adjustment Wizard Start" window will appear. Press "All Adjust" and wait for the adjustment to finish (this may take a few minutes). 5. Once the Finish button has appeared, Press "Finish".
This completes sensor adjustment. After making adjustments, check that input can be performed normally. If you are still having the same problem, please contact our Starboard Technical Support Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2. StarBoard software is displaying the message “StarBoard device is not connected”.
1. Click on the “Check Connections” to see if the software will recognize the starboard device. 2. Double-check the connection to make sure all cables are connected securely. 3. Inquire about previously installed devices that could be occupying the connection. 4. Verify that the correct driver was selected when initially installed. For the T-series panels, verify that the USB Tablet manager is installed. For the FX-Duo/Trio series, verify that the Starboard Light Sensor Driver is installed by checking Add/Remove programs. 5. Driver is installed and running with red X.
Open START Menu, Open Devices and Printers. Do you see unspecified Light Sensor Devices with Yellow Exclamation point indicating an issue?
a. Right click device and go to hardware properties and click on update driver.
Browse you computer to: C:/Program files/Hitachi Software Engineering/FXduo drivers
(x86 on 64 bit machines)
b. Press OK
c. Click next to install driver. Windows will install driver and the board should now be connected and functioning.
IF NO: Another problem exists, please contact support 800-HITACHI (option 5).
Some of the early StarBoard EM Panels and BT-1 products were not encoded with StarBoard identification. When the “No StarBoard is Connected” popup window appears with these older models, simply click ok and the software will startup and the products will work.
- 3. I cannot calibrate my StarBoard device.
1. For FX-Duo/Trio series, you can find the calibration at the following locations:
In the Starboard software, go to the Menu toolbar button; choose Settings, StarBoard, and Calibrate. A calibration screen will appear. Click on the center of the flashing red circle with your system’s pen. When it turns green, click on the center of the next flashing red calibration circle. Repeat until complete.
2. Using the default calibration for FX-Series only, verify that the image displayed by the projector fills up the white area of the Starboard.
- 4. Why do I get a red X through the LSaDrv icon in my System Tray even though my Starboard is connected?
This function is for the FX-Duo/Trio series StarBoard. If you have installed the drivers for the FX-Duo and the T-series panels, the LSaDrv driver will only function when it detects an FX-Duo/Trio Starboard attached.
This can also be caused by something blocking the sensor area. Make sure the reflective tape is free from dust/residue by using a clean, soft cloth and that no object is inside the reflective tape area.
- 5. Why do I get a “Not Allowed” symbol when I try to drag and drop an image from IE to my Starboard Software?
You must Disable Protected Mode from the Internet Options within IE to drag and drop an image.
- Launch IE
- Click on Tools then Internet Options
- Click on Security Tab and at the bottom Uncheck Enable Protected Mode
- Close out IE and launch again to test drag and drop image.
- 6. How can I drag and drop text from Safari web browser on Mac to Starboard Software?
- Drag and Drop of text into Starboard Software from the Safari web browser as well as Google Chrome web browser in Mac is not currently supported. Please download and Install Firefox web browser for this feature to function correctly.
- 7. Why is my scrolling gesture in Safari web browser not working on my Mac?
- The Scrolling gesture is not currently supported in the Safari web browser as well as Google Chrome web browser in Mac. Please download and install Firefox web browser.
- 8. Unable to write using the WT-1.
- Ensure that you have paired the WT-1 to the wireless USB dongle and installed the battery into the pen correctly. Do not install the WT-1 Setup Software that is included with the tablet if you are installing the Starboard software. This is for when you do not plan on installing the Starboard software. Ensure that the USB Tablet Manager was installed with the Starboard software. You can check by going to Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP or Control Panel-Program and Features in Windows 7.
- 9. What Operating Systems are supported for using the Starboard software?
- Windows XP (32 bit version), Windows 7 (32/64 bit versions), and Mac OS X 10.4 (or higher)
- 10. Unable to calibrate The Starboard Link EZ.
This is cause by not running the StarboardLink EZ setup wizard prior to starting the software. Disconnect the Link and run the wizard. Connect the USB cable when required and complete the setup. You should now be able to calibrate the board.
(Note) When moving the sensor or rails, you will need to rerun the Link Setup wizard again.
- 11. The Starboard Link EZ is out of Touch mode.
- You can place the Link back in touch mode by opening the Starboard software, going to Menu-Settings-Starboard-Starboard Settings. Select “configure pen buttons” and on the Pen Button Configuration window, highlight “Pen tip” and under “Input method”, select “Finger” and click OK.
- 12. My annotation keeps disappearing. What could be wrong?
- Determine what type of pen is being used. Any annotations created using the Pointer Pen will disappear after the second time you touch the screen.
- 13. How can I extend the length of the USB cable?
To extend the USB cable beyond the original length, you will need a USB Extender from Cables to Go. This extender is tested and recommended by Hitachi. The part number on CablesToGo website is 29341.
- 14. With my T-series panel connected and starting the Starboard software, I get an onscreen message that “Starboard is not connected” even though the USB cable is connected.
- Ensure that the Pen Pad manager is running in the task tray. If not, then the USB Tablet Manager will need to installed. This is located on the DVD or download folder under Win-Starboard Software-MSI-USB Tablet Manager.msi for Windows XP or Windows 7 (32 bit) and Win-Starboard Software-MSI-64bit- USB Tablet Manager.msi for Windows 7 (64 bit). After installing the driver and restarting the computer, it should now function correctly.
- 15. Issue with T-15, T-17, T-19 BT-2G and WT-1 tablets lagging when writing, jagged lines instead of straight lines, etc.
The devices stated above use the USB Tablet Manager driver (Process ID: ATWTUSB.exe). If you are using e-Instructions software, this will cause some issues with the function of your Starboard device includes but not limited to; lag when writing or drawing, jagged lines instead of straight lines, etc.
To correct this issue please exit out of the e-Instructions software by locating it in the System Tray (lower right corner, next to clock) right click and choose Exit. Restart the Starboard Software and verify your Starboard device is working properly. If this issue is not resolved please contact Technical Support at 1-800-HITACHI or email@example.com for further assistance.
- 16. Why does my Starboard interactive whiteboard not display my image?
- You will need a projector to display your computer’s desktop on the Starboard. The Starboard cannot display images without a computer and projector.
- 17. How do I plug in my Starboard?
- The Starboard is a USB device. Ensure the cable is connected to your computer directly.
- 18. Do I need a Hitachi Projector to use the Starboard?
- You can use your existing projector to display on the Hitachi Starboard.
- 19. Dell PC’s and Hitachi Starboard USB power issues.
This is a list of Dell PC’s that are noted to have low USB power:
Latitude, Optiplex, Inspiron, and Studio XPS 9000.
A powered USB hub should be used when possible to free up internal bus power for the Starboard.
- 20. Can I customize my toolbar?
- Yes, the toolbar is fully customizable to your preferences. To customize, go to the onscreen toolbar, click Menu and under any of the sub-categories you can select an icon and drag it to your toolbar.
- 21. The icons in my toolbar are too big and are blocking some items on my desktop.
You can change the size of your toolbar icons in the "Option Settings". Click on the Menu button -> Settings -> Preferences -> Toolbar tab, and then choose one of the icon sizes from the menu.
You can also collapse the toolbar to reduce the occupied space by clicking on the top arrow of the toolbar. Click on the top arrow of the toolbar again to expand the toolbar to its original size.
- 22. How do I remove or add a tool in the toolbar?
- Simply click and hold your cursor on top of the icon you wish to remove. Hold for 1-2 seconds and drag it off the toolbar. To add a tool, click on the toolbar Menu and under any of the sub-categories you can select an icon and drag it to your toolbar.
- 23. I like to have my toolbar vertical rather than horizontal.
- Click and hold your cursor on the top arrow of the toolbar. Hold for 1-2 seconds, then drag and rotate the toolbar in the direction you wish to position the toolbar. You can also move the toolbar around the screen by clicking and holding the toolbar menu button for 1-2 seconds, then dragging it anywhere.
- 24. Why does the cursor follow my finger on the Starboard but I can't write?
- Ensure that the Starboard is in touch mode. Open a blank page in the Starboard software and look for the hand icon in the Status Indicator, located in the upper right corner of the screen. If the hand is not there, touch the function button (on the physical StarBoard) that displays a pen/hand. Once the hand icon appears in the Status Indicator, you will now be able to write.
- 25. When going to the Starboard and touching it, the cursor changes to the eraser, even when using the stylus.
- Check and determine if the mouse is configured for left hand use. If so, change back to right hand and the Starboard will work correctly.
- 26. Why can’t I see larger images in my search gallery?
Download and install the Google patch.
Google™ Image Search Software Patch for Windows
For use with SBS 9.4 only. This patch corrects the small thumbnail issue of Google™ image search in the Gallery tab. Unzip file after downloading and double-click to install.
Google™ Image Search Software Patch for Mac
For use with SBS 9.4 only. This patch corrects the small thumbnail issue of Google™ image search in the Gallery tab. Unzip file after downloading and double-click to install.
- 27. How can I open a PowerPoint file inside StarBoard software?
- To open a PowerPoint file in StarBoard software, go to the toolbar Menu button and select File, Import or Open. Locate your PowerPoint file and open. After the PowerPoint loads, you will be able to annotate on the slides.
- 28. Why can I not annotate over .PDF files? I am able to do this in every other program and document while in “Write on Desktop” mode.
If you have selected the option to "Write on Desktop" mode, some applications may have a problem with this operation. Applications with security functions may limit the ability of annotating directly on top of them (For example, Adobe Reader X with Protected Mode enabled).
To avoid this disable Protected Mode in Adobe Reader X:
- Open Adobe Reader X.
- From Edit menu select Preferences, Preferences dialog box appears.
- Select General from the Categories list on the left.
- Uncheck "Enable protected mode at startup" in the Application Startup panel to the right.
- Click OK to save changes and close Adobe Reader.
- Open PDF document and verify that you can now write on document.
- 29. After importing a PDF document, it opens in landscape instead of portrait or it is to the side.
- To fix this issue, open the PDF outside normally through Adobe and go to File-Print-and under Page Handling, check the box “Auto-Rotate and Center”, then click okay. Allow it to print the document. After it finishes printing, you can now import the PDF centered into the Starboard software.
- 30. How do I get training on using the Starboard?
1. Check out the tutorials on the installation disk that came with your product. 2. Visit our online training video library here. 3. Contact your local StarBoard Regional Manager by visiting our Contact Us page or submit a request for training here.
- 31. Who do I contact to get software updates?
- If you require a Disk, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your product serial number and a valid mailing address. Download software updates by visiting our Software Downloads page.
- 32. Why does the Starboard software appear to be frozen when I am installing or reinstalling the Starboard software and the progress bar has not moved in a while?
- Please be patient, the software is installing files in the background. When installing the software, if a dialog box opens in the background, the installation may have paused, waiting for your input.
- 33. Can all the clients in Conference mode see what I’m putting on my computer screen?
Yes, it normally takes about 1-2 seconds before the annotation travels to all your clients.
Conference mode only displays captured images and annotations on the Client screens in a conference. If you are viewing a document from another application (such as PowerPoint or Word), it must be copied to the shared whiteboard to be viewed by others. Once copied, it can be magnified and you can navigate around the captured image with the Navigation Window. Any animations made in PowerPoint will not animate in the Starboard software.
- 34. How can I use an On-Screen Keyboard in Starboard software 9.x for Mac?
- Go to your Mac Hard Drive -> Applications -> MyScriptStylus. Launch the program. (A Starboard product must be connected for this program to run.) Once the program launches, an icon that looks like a pen will load on the top menu bar of your screen. Click on the icon and then click “Show” to load the program. Click the 3rd tab at the top to show the on-screen keyboard that can be used system-wide, including the Internet, MS Office, and other applications.
- 35. What driver do I install for the PX-Duo Plasma Overlay series?
- When installing StarBoard software, check the box for the FX-DUO/TRIO series. The PX-Duo series uses the FX-DUO/TRIO series driver.
- 36. Why am I getting an error message when trying to install a newer version of the Starboard software that an "older version of the driver is already installed. Please uninstall the older version before proceeding" and it will not allow me to finish the Starboard software install?
If you are installing a newer version the Starboard software, remove all instances of the Starboard software and its drivers from the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) and ensure that the following are uninstalled to avoid any driver conflicts or errors:
Starboard Light Sensor Driver, Starboard Software Version 8.X or lower, and USB Tablet Manager. This will allow you to install the updated drivers along with the Starboard software.
- 37. I have an FX-63/77/82/77GII Starboard that does not calibrate correctly. It won't write in the lower left hand corner and top right hand corner. I have tried calibrating many times and I still have the same results. What else can I do?
We have noticed this to be a problem in some FX-63/77/82/77GII Starboards (production after December 2007). This is due to a faulty firmware version that some of these Starboards may have. Below you will find the Firmware Changer tool that will allow you to change the Firmware to a recent working version. Please download and extract the folder. Please be sure to read the instructions on how to properly run this tool. Not following the instructions can damage the electronics of the sensor. If you continue to have problems please contact our Technical Support Department.
Download Firmware Changer Tool
- 38. I have an older Hitachi Starboard EM Panel (PL-550) and upgraded to a newer version of Starboard software. Now I get a “Starboard Not Connected” Message and I cannot calibrate. What can I do?
Download the appropriate driver directly from Wacom:
After installing the correct driver for your Operating System, please calibrate your Starboard EM Panel by going to the Control Panel and launching the Wacom utility. There will be a calibration tool there, follow the instructions to calibrate.
- 39. Where can I buy replacement parts for my Starboard Product?
- Hitachi now offers replacement parts on our new StarBoard eCart website.
- 40. Can I use dry erase marker on the Starboard interactive whiteboard?
- Dry erase markers should not be used on the Starboard due to its porous, non-reflective surface.
- 41. I’m using Mac OS 10.7.x (Lion) and am trying to use MyScript Stylus. It does not respond correctly and when typing using the MyScript Stylus Keyboard it only inputs the letter “a”.
- At this time MyScript Stylus that comes bundled with Starboard Software does not support Mac OS 10.7x (Lion)